Who can we treat at Tikvah Clinic?

The team at Tikvah Clinic have expert knowledge in the treatment of Eating Disorders, including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Other Specialised and Feeding Disorders, Binge Eating Disorder and Orthorexia. We are also able to treat individuals who experience body image concerns, depression, anxiety, trauma, relationship issues, low self-esteem, adjustment difficulties and stress management.

We welcome children to older adults at Tikvah Clinic.

Which Psychologist will I see?

If you have been recommended or referred to a particular clinician, we will endeavour to accommodate this. If your preferred practitioner is full, you will be able to join a waiting list or will be advised who else at Tikvah Clinic might be appropriate to help. To learn more about the practitioners at Tikvah Clinic, click here.

What can I expect in my first session?

During your first appointment, your practitioner will introduce you to the Tikvah Clinic confidentiality and consent requirements. You will be asked about your background, current situation and reasons for presenting to treatment. This will allow your practitioner to consider and discuss treatment options with you.

You might feel nervous about coming to treatment. We understand this and will try to help you feel comfortable. Seeking treatment for your mental health is a good decision and speaking about your concerns and difficulties will get easier over time.

What is the difference between a clinical psychologist, psychologist, and psychotherapist?


A psychologist is a university trained health professional who will have completed a 4 year undergraduate degree in psychology. In addition they will have undertaken one (or more) of the following:

  • A two year internship to supplement their formal training;
  • A 1 year post-graduate qualification plus 1 year internship; or
  • A 2 year Master’s degree or 3 year Doctoral degree.

Medicare Rebate/session: $88.25 


Clinical Psychologist

To be registered as a clinical psychologist, the health professional must have completed a Master’s degree plus a required period of supervised practice.

All psychologists are trained in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Many psychologists extend their training and experience to utilise additional approaches.  

Psychology is regulated by the Australian Health Practitioner Registration Agency (AHPRA)

Medicare Rebate/session: $ 129.55



A psychotherapist usually has an undergraduate degree in a health-related area plus additional specialist training in psychotherapy.   

Psychotherapy is a specialisation for working in depth with people who are grappling with a range of personal and well-being issues including diagnosed mental health conditions.

Psychotherapists focus on assisting their clients to explore and understand aspects of themselves and their experience. They assist their clients to understand how past experiences influence and shape their current responses to life events. The focus is on the here and now response, the past simply provides the platform for understanding.

Psychotherapists endorsed by PACFA (Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia) will have undertaken substantial, experiential professional training with a demonstrated theoretical base, adhere to a Code of Ethics for professional practice, maintain up-to-date skills and engage in regular supervision and professional development

Medicare Rebate/session = NIL

All our therapists have received their ANZAED Eating Disorder Credential or they are in the process of receiving it. The credentialing system was developed to give individuals confidence that their therapist has received specialist training in the treatment of eating disorders.

To get the ANZAED Eating Disorder Credential, clinicians must meet the following criteria:

  • Eating disorder-specific training to understand the signs and impacts
  • Training in one evidence-based model of eating disorder treatment to have an understanding of how to treat eating disorders according to research, people with lived experience and clinical experts
  • At least two years’ experience in clinical practice or dietetics
  • Have clinical supervision for their eating disorder practice to support their ongoing development
  • Sustain 15 hours of professional development in eating disorders each time they renew their Credential

All Credentialed Eating Disorder Clinicians have been through an application process, managed by ANZAED, which includes providing written evidence for the above criteria.

What does treatment involve?

Session frequency will be discussed with your practitioner. Your practitioner will also outline what your therapy will entail. Regular attendance in treatment is important and will help you develop trust, a good relationship with your practitioner, and a feeling that you are working towards achieving your treatment goals.

Do I need a referral?

You do not need a referral to see a psychologist or dietitian at Tikvah Clinic. If you are eligible for a partial rebate through Medicare you will need your GP to prepare a Mental Health Care Plan or an Eating Disorder Treatment Plan.

The Scheduled Benefit rebate from Medicare that is claimable for clinical psychology services are currently $128.40 and $54.60 for dietetics for each session. Your practitioner might be able to claim this benefit on your behalf or she will provide you with an invoice so that you can organise the benefit.

Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP)
• Your GP will need to complete a MHCP for you and lodge this with Medicare AND write a referral letter indicating they have lodged a MHCP for treatment and specifying the number of sessions they referring for.
• A MHCP allows a maximum of 10 sessions in a calendar year.
• After your 6th session, you must return to your referring GP for a review in order to claim the remaining 4 sessions.
• Under COVID-19 provisions, the number of sessions allowed under a MHCP has increased to 20 per calendar year. After you initial 10 sessions, you will need to return to your GP for review and access to the next 10 sessions.

Eating Disorder Treatment Plan (EDP).
• Your GP will need to complete an EDP for you and lodge this with Medicare AND provide you with a copy of the plan to bring to your appointment.
• Treatment under an EDP allows access to up to a maximum of 40 sessions per 12 month period. This is allocated in 10 session increments.
• After each 10 sessions, you will need to return to your GP for review.
• Please note that to access more than 20 sessions under an EDP, you will need to consult a specialist psychiatrist or paediatrician at some point between session 1-20. Given the long wait times for specialists, we would recommend contacting a specialist to book an appointment as soon as an EDP is activated.
• Please also note that EDPs expire after a 12 month period. This is the date 12 months from preparation of the initial plan prepared by the GP. After 12 months, you will be eligible for a new plan.

What forms do my GP need to send you so that I can get an EDP?

If your GP is unclear about the EDP forms please direct them to the link below


Can I claim the cost of sessions through my Private Health Insurance?

Some private health funds allow individuals to claim a rebate for psychology and dietetic services. Please check with your Health Fund if you are eligible.

What is the cost of a consultation?

Please speak to your practitioner for consultation costs.